Feels like the first time...
So I can say with pretty much no exaggeration that the past month and a bit have been crazy. In addition to a packed schedule (upon which I will not elaborate), my plans for this coming Fall were largely up in the air until a few days ago. Before about March 20, I had been completely set to move to New York in September. Then the Thelonious Monk Institute solicited about 4 or 5 jazz voice teachers around the country to each recommend one or two strong singers and improvisers to audition to jump into the Institute in September to fill the newly vacant singer spot for the remaining year of the two year fellowship. Wow, did you like that run-on sentence? I'm on fire! My teacher recommended my friend Dave and I, and we rushed to prepare audition materials, gather letters of recommendation, and put together a press kit. So, until a few days ago, we had be waiting to hear if we would be one of three applicants to be flown to Los Angeles for an audition. Instead of receiving either a "Congratulations, you're going to L.A." or a "Thank you for your interest in our program" letter/call, we each received a "Well, actually, no one is going to be filling the vocal spot for next year." They apparently hadn't cleared the pinch-hitter situation with USC (where the fellowship is sponsored) or the selection board before they began the audition process. USC said they couldn't give a one year participant a diploma, and the board said they couldn't sign off on anyone who wouldn't receive a diploma. So basically, the last month of waiting built up to a pretty anticlimactic finish. It sucks that we went through all of that for almost nothing, but I'm honestly just so relieved to know what I'm doing next year. Pre-Monk, I had been getting so excited to move to NYC, and for the waiting period, I pretty much had to put that on hold and consider the possibility of living in L.A. for a year. Now that NYC is back in the cards for sure, I'm getting excited again. Plus, quite a few of my friends are making the move as well, and it is really nice to know that you're not moving alone. Yay for the newest additions to the NEC alumni colony in NYC.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home