Le Jazz Hot

Ruminations, rants, and raves of a female jazz singer, grad student, ex dancer, and compulsive reader.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Good Things

Well, I'm home for the holidays. After a long day in airports and on airplanes, I finally arrived on Christmas day. Of course, my right leg smelled of oranges, courtesy of one of my row-mates, and my bum was a bit sore from being kicked and nudged through my seat by a small child almost repeatedly throughout the flight from Minnesota to Washington, but I got home. And just in time for a fabulous Christmas dinner, and more Christmas presents than I was expecting--always a welcome surprise. The next surprise was borne of a lie of omission by my parents. In view of the impending sale of my Grandma's estate, my parents have been shopping around for a new house. It must be said that a new house is well overdue my family, as our current house is the one we moved into when I was about a year old, when my parents were hardly twenty years old, and they weren't exactly expecting a family of four children. So, although our small house has been a good home, I am so completely excited that my parents will have the opportunity to move into a nicer, bigger, more comfortable home in a nice neighborhood. Oh, I got distracted. Anyway, they had told us that we would get to look at the three homes they'd narrowed their search down to. They took us to the first home, and we got out, expecting to look around. Not so. The owners had forgotten about the meeting, and were a little skittish about letting us in when the place was a mess. So, my dad said "well, take a good look, cause 'welcome home!'" Our collective response was sort of a "huh?" They had already bought the house, and escrow will close sometime around early February. So the next time I come home, it will be to a new house. I suppose I'm lucky in a way, having that happen long after my first years of college. But, on the other hand, perhaps others who have moved earlier and more often are more accustomed to change. Who knows. Either way, I'm happy for my parents, who got a spectacular deal on a house almost twice the size of the one I've known almost since birth. (1600 sq. ft. to 2250 sq. ft.) Yay for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home