Le Jazz Hot

Ruminations, rants, and raves of a female jazz singer, grad student, ex dancer, and compulsive reader.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Rant

Sigh. Living in Boston has definitely taken getting used to in many ways. The most difficult adjustment for me has been to a few certain breeds of what we will call "street-side verbal admirers." Now I can handle being looked at appraisingly, and I can deal with fairly polite comments made to a friend upon my passing by, but I cannot stand when certain men feel they have the right to shout about my attributes at the top of their lungs, to call me "baby," "momma," "big girl," "booty-blessed," or the worst yet, "bootybootybootybootybooty." As if it wasn't insulting enough already, most of the time, they're using these "terms of endearment" to coax me to drop a quarter in their dunkin' donuts coffee cup. What am I supposed to say? "Well, when you call me sugartits, I just can't refuse. But, um, I assume we're going to have to go over to MY place tonight..." Or, how about: "Oh my God, what do you mean I have a big booty? Is that what I've been sitting on all my life? And there I was thinking that all those chairs were just extra plush and comfortable." Seriously. It pisses me off. Maybe if it didn't happen EVERY TIME I have to walk within a block radius of my school, I wouldn't be so tired of it. And maybe if they didn't start following you down the street late at night, or bitching at you if you refuse them money, or a polite "thanks" for their verbal assault, I wouldn't have to finish my walk home, fantasizing about kicking them in the balls and running the rest of the way home without being stabbed or urinated on. Argh!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wendy, you're just too damn gorgeous. Perhaps it's time for you to invest in a burka?

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Feelin' you in this department.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    is boston great? read about my boston rants here...

    moonpup.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home