My first blog
The summer is almost over. Almost. Over. I'm sure that if I knew/cared anything about sports, I'd have some genius sports-related analogy to demonstrate just how close we are to the cessation of hot, wet, disgusting summer weather. Of course, I must acknowledge that the further we get from summer, the closer we get to the vile, exhaust-flavored slurpee that is winter in Boston, MA. Yes, I live in Beantown, which means that, as well as walking in fear of being trampled by staggering rabid Sox fans, deafened by "Yankees Suck!" shouting rabid Sox fans, and dodging the traffic-bound, road-raging, horn-blasting, beer-guzzling, SUV-driving rabid Sox fans, I get the excellent opportunity to live in a sauna in the summer, and a sub-zero fridge in the winter (which, by the way, lasts for about six months, and feels like seven). Wow. That was a run on sentence. My apologies. But seriously, it's taken me a while to realize that people elect to live in places like Boston, even if they aren't required to live on the East Coast primarily due to the existence of an accessible live music scene. That's love. But that's enough about weather and sports mania.
For those not reading this blog out of platonic love, familial obligation, or successful nagging, I'm a second year grad student at the New England Conservatory of Music, I sing jazz, and I'm hoping that someday (soon) people will want to pay me to sing all the time, thereby eventually whittling away my rather significant pit of debt (financial despair) at a much faster rate than the "I work for minimum wage and sing for free, so I can afford to pay $25 dollars a month" plan.
Recent newsworthy events include, but are not limited to:
*Working about 3/4 time in the development office at my school. Duties include filing, answering phones, internet research, playing pac man, text twist, and online scrabble, running errands, recreational reading, doing the Metro crossword, and other such important tasks.
*Being almost intolerably bored after work every day, yet still managing not to practice enough.
*Taking a rather embarrassing (yet surprisingly unwitnessed) tipsy stumble off a curb and scraping/bruising hands and knees, and fracturing the knuckle of my right pinky finger. This doesn't sound like the most inconvenient injury, but it's a little difficult to take piano lessons with a defective finger.
*Giving tap lessons to my friend Jodi, who is also my would-be piano teacher. She's doing great.
*Signing the lease for a new apartment to be shared by myself and Karissa Bryant this coming September.
*Doing spontaneous (if not slightly scary) dances of extreme felicity in reaction to above.
*Randomly running into a fellow PLU graduate to whom I haven't spoken since moving, in the middle of the Fanuiel Hall open market.
*Binge reading the latest Harry Potter book in six hours.
*Regretting compulsive gorging of children's book (or rather, the sad fact that there's no more to read now).
*Sweating, and seriously longing to walk around nude outside, an impulse that would never exist, were it not for the hot wetness in Boston.
*Upcoming event: Flying to L.A. to witness the birth (or at least first few days) of my big sister's fourth child. Yay.
So, that's the general overview of my summer so far. Perhaps I'll write again soon if anything interesting happens.
For those not reading this blog out of platonic love, familial obligation, or successful nagging, I'm a second year grad student at the New England Conservatory of Music, I sing jazz, and I'm hoping that someday (soon) people will want to pay me to sing all the time, thereby eventually whittling away my rather significant pit of debt (financial despair) at a much faster rate than the "I work for minimum wage and sing for free, so I can afford to pay $25 dollars a month" plan.
Recent newsworthy events include, but are not limited to:
*Working about 3/4 time in the development office at my school. Duties include filing, answering phones, internet research, playing pac man, text twist, and online scrabble, running errands, recreational reading, doing the Metro crossword, and other such important tasks.
*Being almost intolerably bored after work every day, yet still managing not to practice enough.
*Taking a rather embarrassing (yet surprisingly unwitnessed) tipsy stumble off a curb and scraping/bruising hands and knees, and fracturing the knuckle of my right pinky finger. This doesn't sound like the most inconvenient injury, but it's a little difficult to take piano lessons with a defective finger.
*Giving tap lessons to my friend Jodi, who is also my would-be piano teacher. She's doing great.
*Signing the lease for a new apartment to be shared by myself and Karissa Bryant this coming September.
*Doing spontaneous (if not slightly scary) dances of extreme felicity in reaction to above.
*Randomly running into a fellow PLU graduate to whom I haven't spoken since moving, in the middle of the Fanuiel Hall open market.
*Binge reading the latest Harry Potter book in six hours.
*Regretting compulsive gorging of children's book (or rather, the sad fact that there's no more to read now).
*Sweating, and seriously longing to walk around nude outside, an impulse that would never exist, were it not for the hot wetness in Boston.
*Upcoming event: Flying to L.A. to witness the birth (or at least first few days) of my big sister's fourth child. Yay.
So, that's the general overview of my summer so far. Perhaps I'll write again soon if anything interesting happens.

1 Comments:
At 11:07 AM,
Anonymous said…
Definitely an eventful summer. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home